Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Website development

10 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

If you have any requests for the website, feel free to post them in this thread.

I'll keep you up to date on what's changing here as well.

I think I made a slight mistake chosing IPB instead of vbulletin5. Our previous site (as was gw2fans) was run on vbulletin4 and it was very, very customisable once you got the hang of it. In IPB I feel quite lost, the options seem limited and the documentation on modding it is very poor and horribly out of date. Since I've bought a license, I'll stick with it and do the best I can, but right now it seems as I could've done more with vbulletin. Downside of IPB is also needing to pay recurring costs for the license as where vbulletin had a lifetime license (but costly upgrade prices). Ah well... 

It took me a long time, but I've just grabbed 4 existing plugins and molded them together instead of using 4 different blocks for it.

1) Who's online (+ group color)

2) Display member groups

3) Member statistics

4) Newest member(s)

mod1.thumb.JPG.6ace7b5e3f886c392843b2a33

PS. IPB removed the "memberlist" function, and nobody has created one for now (vbulletin and previous versions of IPB did have this) It's on my agenda to create this for IPB, but I'll be forced to purchase a seperate license and paying the recurring fees to be able to create custom pages, and even then I don't know how much is possible within those pages.. sigh..

Edited by Agahnim

Posted · Report post

Seems i found a backdoor via another plugin that enables me to create custom pages without buying a 'pages' License.. Phew.. 

It still surprises me that so little documentation, hacks and plugins are available for this...

Ah well, now the fun begins. :) (and will last until IPB needs to be updated.. I'm not looking forward to that..)

Posted · Report post

Seems like you got your work cut out for you. Wish i could help you, but i got no knowledge about this stuff. 

Posted · Report post

Site looks really good Bram!

Posted · Report post

The site looks really good! Very modern aesthetics. The only thing I could nitpick is that the logo/banner tree appears to be quite pixelated. I took the liberty of attempting to trace it in Illustrator (I'm by no means any good at it though...). If you want to I could send you the .ai file (or any other vector based format).

Sanctuary.png

Posted · Report post

hehe, it's a placeholder just for lols :)

Feel free to make a brand new super cool logo :D 

Posted · Report post

I'll fire up Photoshop on the Mac if I get time this week!

Posted · Report post

Can anyone make a Sanctuary logo? My skills are poo.

Posted · Report post

I'll see if I get any time today ;)  Bear with me!